Fabulous news, Space Unicorns! In case you missed it during your New Year’s celebrations, The Best of Uncanny was released into the multiverse!
As you know, The Best of Uncanny is a collection from Subterranean Press edited by Lynne M. Thomas and Michael Damian Thomas that brings together some of their favorite Uncanny Magazine stories and poems from the first few years of the magazine, including many works which were nominated for or won awards. Over 40 authors!
The Best of Uncanny has received starred reviews from Publishers Weekly Booklist, Library Journal, and Kirkus!
The trade hardcover edition is nearly out of print! If you pre-ordered, your copy should be on the way soon! You can still buy copies directly from Subterranean Press!
Plus, the eBook edition is available! You can purchase an eBook of The Best of Uncanny from Subterranean Press, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Kobo!
Don’t forget, there will be a book tour for The Best of Uncanny with stops in Seattle (Jan 17), Philadelphia (Jan 25), Champaign (Feb 5), and Minneapolis (Feb 15). If you still want a print copy and missed the pre-orders, this is the only way to get one! Please, come meet some of the editors and authors!
We are very proud of this book, and we think you will love these stories and poems as much as we do. Thank you, Space Unicorns!
Traveling to a Distant Day by Tran Nguyen
Table of Contents:
- “The Uncanny Valley- An Introduction” by Lynne M. Thomas and Michael Damian Thomas
- “Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies” by Brooke Bolander
- “Blessings” by Naomi Novik
- “Folding Beijing” by Hao Jingfang, translated by Ken Liu (translator signing, not the author)
- “The New Ways” by Amal El-Mohtar (Poem)
- “Fandom for Robots” by Vina Jie-Min Prasad
- “Catcall” by Delilah S. Dawson
- “Wooden Feathers” by Ursula Vernon
- “The Long Run” by Neil Gaiman (Poem)
- “Heat of Us: Notes Toward an Oral History” by Sam J. Miller
- “Ghost Champagne” by Charlie Jane Anders
- “Translatio Corporis” by Kat Howard
- “Rose Child” by Theodora Goss (Poem)
- “The Witch of the Orion Waste and the Boy Knight” by E. Lily Yu
- “Monster Girls Don’t Cry” by A. Merc Rustad
- “Midnight Hour” by Mary Robinette Kowal
- “Henosis” by N.K. Jemisin
- “The Persecution of Witches” by Ali Trotta (Poem)
- “Restore the Heart into Love” by John Chu
- “I Frequently Hear Music in the Very Heart of Noise” by Sarah Pinsker
- “You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay” by Alyssa Wong
- “肉骨茶 (Meat Bone Tea)” by S. Qiouyi Lu (Poem)
- “She Still Loves the Dragon” by Elizabeth Bear
- “If You Were a Tiger, I’d Have to Wear White” by Maria Dahvana Headley
- “archival testimony fragments / minersong” by Rose Lemberg (Poem)
- “Sun, Moon, Dust” by Ursula Vernon
- “Planet Lion” by Catherynne M. Valente
- “The Hydraulic Emperor” by Arkady Martine
- “Starskin, Sealskin” by Shveta Thakrar & Sara Cleto (Poem)
- “Small Changes Over Long Periods of Time” by K.M. Szpara
- “god-date” by Brandon O’Brien (Poem)
- “Auspicium Melioris Aevi” by JY Yang
- “Clearly Lettered in a Mostly Steady Hand” by Fran Wilde
- “An Ocean the Color of Bruises” by Isabel Yap
- “Dancing Princesses” by Roshani Chokshi (Poem)
- “Those” by Sofia Samatar
- “Though She Be But Little” by C. S. E. Cooney
- “Children of Thorns, Children of Water” by Aliette de Bodard
- “Protestations Against the Idea of Anglicization” by Cassandra Khaw (Poem)
- “My Body, Herself” by Carmen Maria Machado
- “Ye Highlands and Ye Lowlands” by Seanan McGuire
- “The Words on My Skin” by Caroline M. Yoachim
- “And Then There Were (N-One)” by Sarah Pinsker
- “The Sea Never Says It Loves You” by Fran Wilde (Poem)
- “Pockets” by Amal El-Mohtar